Sunday 15 April 2007

Shepard Fairey - street art


Shepard Fairey - via Galerie Magda Danysz, France 2006

Too tired & busy for a personal post but luckily I have this one I meant to post on Friday (red day) I meant to about the gorgeous bold propaganda style graphics and street art of Shepard Fairey.
I love that such strong anti-war and anti-consumerism works also contain such beautiful pattern and apparent age. The one above has subtle layers of imagery showing through. Simply stunning.



Shepard Fairey - via Galerie Magda Danysz, France 2006

I had never heard of him till I spotted the two works above here at the Galerie Magda Danysz in France (shown last June) which is bizzarre as he appears to be the Amercan Banksy and probably you all know him well and can't believe I'm new to his work. I should try and get hold of his stickers but until then, the nearest piece to me seems to be this one, what a beauty...


Shepard Fairey - Newcastle, UK

One last thing, I have to mention the amazing 1930's animation that Alyssa gave Gracia a link for. It's here on You Tube (8mins) and I just watched in amazement. To think they had none of the technology that we have yet this piece is so amazing and creative and gets right under your skin. I can't imagine what it was like for audiences of it's time, mind blowing, especially on a big screen.

6 comments:

meepslala said...

I agree, pretty powerful artwork, though I too have never heard of him/her. I'm gonna have to look him up now!!!!!

lisa solomon said...

wow - that is so so so cool..... just beautiful - and powerful - !

Feltbug said...

Hi Cally - thanks for your messages - it is so lovely to meet you and I cant wait to see more of your artwork - I love your twig ring ! I had my creative self in storage for a few years ! Now things just keep unfolding, new ideas, friends and inspiration everywhere I go - this blog world is amazing and is so condusive to being creative. I used to struggle when I was painting years ago - always felt quite isolated - but things have changed so much.

Anonymous said...

It almost feels like I'm in Vietnam, the hues and the vibe of it all. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

it's interesting to find that many propaganda images can be very decorative, it's surprisingly beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Very cool, much more aesthetically appealing than Banksy, IMO, though I may be influenced by his overexposure. Thanks for sharing this.

And your new pup looks so sweet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...