Sunday 1 April 2007

Objets trouvés



Objets trouvés, I've always loved that term better than 'found objects' which we use in English. Seems appropriate to use that term in relation to these wonderfully expressive masks by French artist Sophie Noel. She's got a nice little website, very individual, and full of other creations as well as her numerous masks.

I was going to show you a photo of my bedroom wall in 1991. My flatmates had posters of Rock idols on there walls. I had a wall of rust! I still love rust, but don't collect so much because I kept staining my fabrics by accident, though it did lead to some very interesting eco friendly colouring techniques as rust stains don't come out in the wash.

I need access to a scanner as photo's of photo's just look crappy. But I will show you sometime, it was really lovely, honestly. I'd been living in an old farm workers cottage so the fields and roads all around were full of the most interesting little bits of rusted farm machinery. Big bits too, but I had to draw the line somewhere. It began as a little collection on the outside kitchen windowsill but grew very quickly. Many of the pieces were incorporated into my artworks, and to this day my eyes are scanning the ground for little gems just as much as they are appreciating the views around me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...